Scientist / Sr Scientist – Gene Therapy
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Ambys Medicines is a biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing regenerative and restorative therapies for people with advanced liver disease. Founded by world-renowned experts in liver disease and regenerative medicine, Ambys is pioneering the application of novel modalities including cell and gene therapy, and gain-of-function drug therapy, to meet the urgent need for treatments that have the potential to restore liver function and prevent the progression to liver failure across multiple liver diseases that are untreatable or poorly treated today. Ambys was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and Takeda Pharmaceuticals with $140M in starting capital and is headquartered in South San Francisco, Calif.
We are currently seeking an innovative scientist/senior scientist with expertise in gene therapy and viral and protein engineering to join a team focused on discovery and advancement of novel therapies for liver disease. The individual will work as part of a multidisciplinary team, and serve as project leader on focused projects, to develop new strategies for treating liver diseases using hepatocyte cell therapy and gene therapy. Ideally, the successful candidate will be knowledgeable in one or more of the following: regenerative medicine, gene therapy using viral and non-viral vectors, cell engineering, liver cell biology, and liver physiology. Candidates should enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic team environment and be motivated to discover new breakthrough therapies for patients.
- Ph.D. degree and at least 3 years of industry experience in a biological science discipline including Virology, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or a related field
- Experience in viral and/or protein engineering (adeno associated viral vectors (AAV) preferred)
- Experience with constructing AAV vectors and design, optimization, and execution of various cell-based assays for AAV vector characterization is preferred
- Knowledge and working experience in viral gene therapy and/or pre-clinical research and development, from bench science to internal and external presentation of data.
- Demonstrate innovative design and execution of research projects through literature review, expertise, and scientific teamwork
- Experienced in sterile technique for handling and growing mammalian cells
- Solid proficiency in molecular biology and protein chemistry techniques such as molecular cloning, PCR, RT-PCR, mammalian cell culture, immunoblot, plasmid transfection, ELISA, and immunocytochemistry/immunohistochemistry procedures
- Broad laboratory experience and skills in cell biology (flow cytometry, cell-based assay development, etc.)
- Experience in writing study reports and manuscripts and presenting results at appropriate scientific meetings
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or in a team-oriented environment
- Excellent data analysis skills and experience with a variety of scientific software applications is required (including Microsoft Office JMP or Prism, and Adobe Photoshop)
- Strong experimental design and troubleshooting skills, can document laboratory procedures and experiments with great attention to detail.
- Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, time-management, and organizational skills are required.
- The successful candidate will be an ambitious self-starter, be motivated to apply his/her skills to diverse projects and enjoy working in a fast-paced team environment.
If you would like to be considered for an opportunity at Ambys Medicines, please submit your CV with the title of the position in the subject line to email@example.com
The well-being of our employees and their families is important to us. We offer comprehensive and competitive health, financial, paid time off and many other benefits designed to promote the health and financial well-being of our employees and their families.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. Ambys Medicines is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.
Ambys Medicines is an equal opportunity employer.