Head of Chemistry / Med Chem / Chemical Biology
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Ambys Medicines is an early-stage biotech company researching and developing medicines that harness the natural regenerative properties of the liver for patients suffering from devastating liver diseases. Founded by Third Rock Ventures with world-renowned academic thought leaders and a substantial collaboration with Takeda, Ambys is pioneering novel approaches to liver restoration and regeneration. The company’s core technologies of cell therapy, gene therapy, drug therapy, and unique translational models are the foundation of our research and development platform. We at Ambys believe that revolutionary medicines result from bold research, performed to the highest standards, following the biology, putting patient needs first and performed by a collaborative, committed, and curious team. We are seeking smart, creative, and motivated people to join our team and become part of the Ambys adventure.
We are seeking an innovative scientific thought leader with expertise in small molecule drug discovery and chemical biology to lead a function focused on discovery and advancement of novel therapies for metal transport deficiencies and liver disease. The Head of Chemistry will assume a key leadership role on a multidisciplinary team. This critical addition to our R&D leadership team will help develop and implement strategies for advancing Ambys’s small molecule program and partner with the executive team to develop a small molecule portfolio for Ambys Medicine. The successful candidate will:
- Partner with the CSO to advance Ambys’s metal transport program into the clinic including by crisply establishing the pharmacology and other drug properties of the chemical space, exploring the MOA of these compounds, developing and filing an IND package and characterizing the biophysical activities of these compounds in disease/healthy tissues.
- Lead all Chemistry/Chemical Biology activities at Ambys as well as provide project/program leadership for the metal transport program.
- Partner with cross functional groups internally as well academic collaborators, CROs, CMOs, and alliance partners to advance Ambys’ current and future small molecule programs and any second-generation compounds. Consistent with that mandate, develop the potential for Ambys to initiate and prosecute additional small molecule programs to generate a pipeline of programs.
- Organize, communicate and present complex data sets to executive management and key stakeholders.
- Develop talent by recruiting research team members and providing professional and personal growth opportunities and mentorship to that team.
- Develop and manage a budget, capital equipment and personnel internally and externally across projects.
- Ph.D. degree in Organic Chemistry, Chemical Biology or a related field
- 12-15 + years of industry experience in a drug discovery organization
- Experience developing and managing a product pipeline of proprietary programs for novel targets.
- Prior experience with metal transport programs or liver disease biology strongly desired, but not required.
- Ability to work cross functionally with CROs, academic labs and cross functional groups is essential to this role.
- Prior experience with scale up of synthesis and formulations desired, but not required.
- Experience leading and developing a diverse group of scientists in a drug discovery setting.
- Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, time-management, and organizational skills are required.
If you would like to be considered for an opportunity at Ambys Medicines, please submit your CV with the title of the position in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
The well-being of our employees and their families is important to us. We offer comprehensive and competitive health, financial, paid time off and many other benefits designed to promote the health and financial well-being of our employees and their families.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. Ambys Medicines is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.
Ambys Medicines is an equal opportunity employer.