Head of Biology (Liver Research)
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Ambys Medicines is an early-stage biotech company researching and developing medicines that harness the natural regenerative properties of the liver for patients suffering from devastating liver diseases. Founded by Third Rock Ventures with world-renowned academic thought leaders and a substantial collaboration with Takeda, Ambys is pioneering novel approaches to liver restoration and regeneration. The company’s core technologies of cell therapy, gene therapy, drug therapy, and unique translational models are the foundation of our research and development platform. We at Ambys believe that revolutionary medicines result from bold research, performed to the highest standards, following the biology, putting patient needs first and performed by a collaborative, committed, and curious team. We are seeking smart, creative, and motivated people to join our team and become part of the Ambys adventure.
We are seeking an innovative scientific thought leader with expertise in liver disease biology and drug discovery to work across our portfolio. The Head of Biology will assume a key leadership role on a multidisciplinary team. This critical addition to our R&D leadership team will help develop new strategies for treating liver diseases using hepatocyte cell therapy, gene therapy and small molecules. Ideally, the successful candidate will possess deep expertise in liver disease pathology in many different indications including, but not limited to NASH, Cirrhosis, Hepatitis, and metal transport diseases. Additionally, this person will be an expert in healthy cellular and systems physiology of the liver. The successful candidate will:
- Partner with the CSO to develop strategies for new indications/targets where Ambys can apply its technology characterize disease models and in vivo models.
- Establish the core of Ambys’ understanding of and innovation with tissue regeneration and normal cellular processes of the liver.
- Provide strategic guidance to our entire R&D team on how our therapies may impact the biology and physiology of the liver, as well as how we can opportunistically harness the endogenous properties of the liver for therapeutic benefit.
- Design, implement and interpret key studies in discovery and go/no-go preclinical experiments directed at advancing pipeline programs and development of new indications – both in vitro and in vivo disease models.
- Partner with cross functional groups internally, as well academic collaborators, CROs and alliance partners, to build and deliver a portfolio of products in different modalities.
- Investigate and condense complex disease areas for presentation to leadership and key stakeholders.
- Develop talent by recruiting research team members and providing professional and personal growth opportunities and mentorship to that team.
- Oversee a cross functional team including cell biology, assay development, bioinformatics
- Keep current on cutting edge discoveries/technologies through literature, conferences and active participation in hepatology research community.
- Develop and manage a budget, capital spend and other resources internally and externally across projects.
- Ph.D. degree a biological science discipline including Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmacology, Physiology, or a related field
- 15+ years of industry experience in a drug discovery/therapeutic discovery organization
- Experience developing and managing a product pipeline of different targets and therapies.
- Experience leading and developing a diverse group of scientists in a drug/therapeutic discovery setting, preferably taking projects from target ID/selection through IND filing.
- Deep experience with liver cell biology, liver pathophysiology, liver cellular pathophysiology, liver physiology required as well as a track record of high impact publications (industry accomplishments may be substituted for papers).
- Prior experience with cell and/or gene therapy discovery strongly preferred, but not required
- Ability to work cross functionally with CROs, academic labs and cross functional groups is essential to this role.
- Strong leadership abilities and proven ability to lead a project team or function within an organization.
- Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, time-management, and organizational skills are required.
If you would like to be considered for an opportunity at Ambys Medicines, please submit your CV with the title of the position in the subject line to email@example.com
The well-being of our employees and their families is important to us. We offer comprehensive and competitive health, financial, paid time off and many other benefits designed to promote the health and financial well-being of our employees and their families.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. Ambys Medicines is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.
Ambys Medicines is an equal opportunity employer.