Head of Bioinformatics
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Ambys Medicines is a biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing regenerative and restorative therapies for people with advanced liver disease. Founded by world-renowned experts in liver disease and regenerative medicine, Ambys is pioneering the application of novel modalities including cell and gene therapy, and gain-of-function drug therapy, to meet the urgent need for treatments that have the potential to restore liver function and prevent the progression to liver failure across multiple liver diseases that are untreatable or poorly treated today. Ambys was launched in 2018 by Third Rock Ventures and Takeda Pharmaceuticals with $140M in starting capital and is headquartered in South San Francisco, Calif.
Ambys is seeking a highly motivated and accomplished scientist to lead our Bioinformatics initiatives to build and sustain custom software in the Computational Biology group; apply computational tools to mine both public and proprietary databases; and utilize molecular, clinical, and genetic data to identify pathways relevant to liver disease and/or discover novel biomarkers. The candidate will be responsible for hiring a small team and for establishing and maintaining the appropriate infrastructure to facilitate the acquisition and analysis of next generation sequencing such as whole genome, RNA-seq, and scRNA-seq data.
The ideal candidate will not only have significant experience with next-generation sequence analysis, but also multi-omics data analysis, algorithm development and clinical data analysis. Working closely with the research and development groups at Ambys, this individual will provide bioinformatics, clinical informatics, and statistical support to the biology discovery and translational medicine research.
- Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Bioinformatics or Statistics and a strong background and interest in data science, software engineering, genomics and genetics and a world-class publication record.
- More than 5 years’ experience in computational biology and bioinformatics focused on NGS applications including RNA-Seq, transcriptomics, single cell analysis, genome variation, etc.
- In-depth knowledge of NGS genomic data analysis and bioinformatics tools (BWA, SamTools, GATK, FreeBayes, MuTect, VarScan etc.) and current data formats (e.g. VCF, BAM/SAM); deep understanding of data QC metrics.
- Experience with relational/noSQL databases and AWS compute environment and data products.
- Proficient in programming in R and Python.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to present and interpret results to the scientific and clinical teams. Documenting the impact of bioinformatics work on company decisions in order to prioritize future work.
- Experience in library-based human genome screening studies and have a good understanding of the procedures involved in generating samples for NGS-based sequencing analyses.
- Capable of querying public and proprietary databases to evaluate potential gene targets and identify genetic modifiers of disease.
- Small molecule, cell or gene therapy experience is desirable, particularly, expertise in early phase non-clinical study design.
- The ideal candidate should also have extensive management experience and have a proven ability to promote collaborations with scientists in discovery, pre-clinical, and translational programs to design experiments and analyses.
- The level of appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
If you would like to be considered for an opportunity at Ambys Medicines, please submit your CV with the title of the position in the subject line to email@example.com
The well-being of our employees and their families is important to us. We offer comprehensive and competitive health, financial, paid time off and many other benefits designed to promote the health and financial well-being of our employees and their families.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency resumes. Ambys Medicines is not responsible for any fees related to resumes that are unsolicited.
Ambys Medicines is an equal opportunity employer.